We believe yoga is for everybody and it is our mission to help people lead healthier lives by helping people connect their minds and their bodies to center themselves and achieve a sense of calm. Our highly trained, passionate teachers and staff make yoga accessible to people of all ages and abilities in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment that is community-oriented. Our first studio opened 30 years ago and we are expanding, primarily through the acquisition of new studios. To help fund our growth, we completed an initial public offering and are the first yoga instruction to be publicly traded (NASDAQ: YOGA). We are a people-oriented business and offer students an amazing service year-round. Corporate and regional teams support our studio teams who both deliver our unique, authentic, high quality experience and drive the important sales and marketing efforts that build our local communities. Additional programming of workshops, teacher training and our online video subscription service, MyYogaWorks.com, round out our offering.
About the Role
Teachers are responsible for leading well rounded functional group or private classes and/or sessions as mutually agreed upon between teacher and supervisor. The type of class may include, but is not limited to Yoga, Pilates, bar, sculpt, TRX, core, Hiit, Bootcamp, etc, and will be assigned according to the teacher's expertise and training. Teachers are expected to be able to utilize a variety of standard props (those relevant to the applicable modality) while reinforcing the YogaWorks core values and commitment to service.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Arrive to class 15 minutes early to help set up the room, greet students and answer student questions prior to class, help check in if necessary/requested * Stay after class 15 minutes to make sure the studio is left clean with all props stored and answer student questions after class * Provide a comfortable and positive class environment * Teach class according to the schedule description and level * Start and end class as scheduled * Instruct poses effectively, paying attention to safety and risk factors appropriate to student experience levels * Safely and effectively demonstrate a variety of physical postures * Safely and effectively provide physical support and adjustments to students (if student wishes) in order to facilitate correct alignment in postures * Must be able to provide modifications for all experience levels * Promote upcoming events, workshops and events scheduled at the studio * Communicate appropriate student feedback to Studio Manager, Teacher Manager and/or Regional Manager * Maintain a consistent schedule and follow the proper procedures for requesting subs * Maintain or exceed the YogaWorks class attendance standards * Wear proper and professional attire while teaching * Familiarity with all classes/instructors on the YogaWorks schedule and knowledge of current class pricing and promotions * Maintain a professional and positive relationship with all YogaWorks faculty and staff and students * Must be available to teach classes consistently when scheduled for a class as YogaWorks operate 364 days/year and from early morning through evening * Using music in class is optional * Follow professional standards of conduct, company policies and safety guidelines as outlined in the employee handbook and teacher manual * Other duties that may be assigned to help company meet goals
Qualifications and Experience:
Group Fitness Teacher:
* Certification from a recognized group fitness program * 1-3 years of group teaching experience preferred * Training in various fitness modalities equaling 400 hours or more preferred * Must be proficient in teaching circuits for varying class sizes
Pilates Mat Teacher:
* Certification from a recognized Pilates Mat program * 1-3 years of group Pilates teaching experience preferred * Training in various fitness or Pilates modalities equalling 400 hours or more preferred
Pilates Equipment Teacher
* Certification obtained through a PMA certified program with a minimum of 400 hours in equipment and mat training * 1-3 years of experience in training private Pilates clients on standard equipment * Available to teach a minimum of 15 hours/week-including mornings, evenings, and weekend * Specialized study is a plus (eg: Pre/Post natal)
* Graduation from a recognized 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training * 1-3 years of yoga teaching experience preferred * Graduation from a recognized 500 hour Yoga Teacher Training preferred * Positive, friendly, professional and courteous
This position does not supervise any direct reports.
This job primarily operates in a yoga studio but may involve work within the community and/or other locations. Not all locations have elevators or offer physically-disabled access. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
* Must be physically able to walk through the classroom freely in order to monitor students' movements, provide them with hands-on adjustments (as needed and desired by students) and to facilitate challenging exercises as is frequently required * Must be able to walk up flight(s) of stairs as many studios do not have elevators. * Able to demonstrate exercises relevant to class style, as is frequently required. * Physically able to lift and carry 1-10 lb. equipment * Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust and focus. * Adjust and operate equipment. * Strong verbal skills (proficient in speaking and understanding English) * Must be able to effectively hear in person and via telephone
YogaWorks provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, YogaWorks complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job as they may change at any time with or without notice.