- Perkins School for the Blind
- $108,680.00 -159,340.00/year*
Education - Excluding Post Secondary
2 Barnard Ave
Teaching Assistant - All Programs Apply For This Job
Watertown, MAPosting Date:
Department: All Programs
Schedule: Full-time & Part-time (First and second shifts available based on program needs)
Perkins School for the Blind, located near Boston, was the first school for the blind chartered in the United States in 1829. For over 180 years, the staff at Perkins have been providing quality services to students and clients who are blind, visually impaired, deafblind and multi-impaired. Perkins School for the Blind embraces diversity in ability, thought, culture and belief. We provide equal education and employment opportunities and value the unique talents and contributions of all of our students and staff.
The Teaching Assistant works with multiply impaired, deaf and deafblind students 5-22 years of age. Responsibilities include providing direct care, independent living skills training and classroom assistance, assisting with lifting and transferring, implementing behavioral interventions and communication skills.
* Promotes student independence,self-confidence,and development of social, organizational, and other critical skills to the maximum extent possible.
* Takes initiative to plan activities that meet the development level of the student.
* Assists students in helping them to control their behaviors.
* Provides and monitors direct care tailored to the student's individual performance levels and needs of students in a manner which respects student rights to privacy and dignity.
* Provides the appropriate level of physical assistance to students and assists student participation in all activities.
* Demonstrates an understanding of the general curriculum as well as the expanded core curriculum.
* Assists in the development and implementation of IEP (Individualized Education Plan) goals, objectives and strategies.
* Develops and prioritizes measurable objectives for students, both short and long term.
* Develops performance measures and informs students of the criteria for success.
* Evaluates student performance, keeps records, and reports progress in learning.
* Assists in providing a language and communication model based on the individual needs of the student.
* Performs other related duties and tasks as assigned.
* High School diploma
* Willingness to complete and maintain First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and Crisis Prevention and Physical Intervention (CPPI) certifications; Sign Language (dependent on program needs)
Preference may be given to candidates with: Associate's or Bachelor's degree with experience working with special needs children; valid driver's license and willingness to drive school vehicles
Benefits: We provide a complete benefits package, which includes, recess time, tuition reimbursement, medical and dental insurance, LTD and Life insurance, retirement programs and staff development and training. Dependent upon availability, housing may also be offered to staff.
How to apply: To apply for a position at Perkins School for the Blind, please visit our website: and submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Perkins seeks to enhance its community of intellectually, culturally, and socially diverse individuals to enrich the educational experience of our students. Applicants from a multicultural background, are bilingual, and/or who have life experience are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Associated topics: .net, algorithm, c c++, c#, matlab, perl, programming, python, sdet, software development engineer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...